Λειτουργική Ρινοπλαστική: Πριν και Μετά το Χειρουργείο
Functional rhinoplasty is the surgical intervention with which we manage to change the shape of the nose and restore normal breathing. A nose hump, a bulbous or droopy tip, a crooked nose or a deviated septum are problems that modern rhinoplasty can restore at the same surgical time. An essential component of a successful functional rhinoplasty is, in principle, the selection of the right nose surgeon. However, it is vital that the patient should follow certain rules-instructions before and after surgery. Let's look at them in detail:
Before Functional Rhinoplasty
Before the operation of the functional rhinoplasty, we advise the patient to keep up with the following instructions:
- Avoid taking medications such as aspirin and ibuprofen (Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatories) for two weeks before surgery. These drugs may increase the chance of bleeding during and after surgery. In case you need to take a painkiller or antipyretic, you can take paracetamol.
- If you are taking anticoagulant drugs, you must refrain from taking them for about a week to 10 days before the operation. This should always be done in consultation with the doctor who administers these drugs (e.g., a cardiologist). It is quite possible that, for as long as the anticoagulants are paused, the patient will be given other drugs that protect against the possibility of thrombosis without increasing the risk of bleeding.
- Avoid taking herbal substances, nutritional supplements and vitamin E. Some of these substances affect blood clotting while others may interact with anesthesia drugs.
- In case you smoke, it is advisable, if possible, to quit for 2 weeks before the surgery. Tobacco and nicotine can cause blood vessels to constrict and reduce blood circulation. This can affect the healing of the skin after functional rhinoplasty. However, such a case, especially when the patient undergoes an operation for the first time, is very rare.
- Take a bath the night before surgery. Not only will it clean your body of make-up, lotions and creams, but it will also help you relax.
- If you have polished nails, remove the color.
- Make sure not to wear jewelry on the day of surgery.
- Confirm the route to the hospital so you don't stress about it on the day of the surgery.
- Arrange for a relative or friend to drive you home after surgery.
- It is a good idea to have someone stay with you the first and second nights after rhinoplasty, just in case you need anything.
- Eat something light until 8:00 the night before surgery. You can drink water until 12.00 of the same night.
- On the morning of the surgery, go to the clinic without eating or drinking anything at all. If you are taking medication, do so with a sip of water.
- If requested, bring imaging or other test results with you to the clinic.
For more information, please contact
After Functional Rhinoplasty
It is very important for the patient to be extensively informed about what to watch out for after the operation of functional rhinoplasty. By following specific instructions, their recovery will be quick and the healing of the nose will be the best possible.
So, after leaving the hospital:
- You should avoid vigorous physical activity (e.g., gym) for about six weeks.
- You can start light exercise on the 20th day after the operation.
- Do not wet the splint placed on the bridge of the nose. The splint stays there for a week. During this time, you can wash your hair at the salon or with a 'dry' shampoo.
- You can bathe the rest of your body but not with very hot water.
- Do not blow your nose for about 15 days after the operation of functional rhinoplasty. If you want to sneeze, do it with your mouth open so that the air pressure is released from there.
- For the first week or so, it is best not to make very intense facial expressions. This will prevent from splint detachment, suture tension and possible mild discomfort from the nose. For the same reason, do not chew very hard foods.
- Do not eat very hot or too spicy foods for a week.
- Brush your teeth gently so that the upper lip does not move too much.
- If possible, wear clothes that fasten in the front so that you don't risk pinching the nose.
- Eat foods like fruits and vegetables. These are rich in fiber which helps in avoiding constipation.
- Avoid wearing eyeglasses or sunglasses for a month and a half after functional rhinoplasty. This way, the nasal bones are protected from any pressure and allowed to heal properly.
- Do not stay under the sun for a long time, for at least one and a half month after the operation. Sunlight negatively affects skin healing. Always use a sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30
According to patients’ testimonials, functional rhinoplasty is a painless surgery that offers impressive results. Compliance with a few simple instructions before and after surgery is not considered a burden; instead, they find it rewarding.